History of Present Illness
A 27 yo black female with no significant PMH reports two week history of descending numbness, paresthesias and weakness. She was doing well until about one month ago, when she had a viral illness; reports cough, stuffy nose, myalgias, general malaise which resolved w/o intervention in one week.
About two days later noted numbness in her bilateral hands, which proceeded to become a tingling sensation going over her L arm. She then began to note numbness in her bilateral feet and weakness in her legs and L arm. She also notes some blurring of her vision. Over the last few days her weakness progressed to where she could no longer walk w/o assistance and now has limited strength in hands.
No sig PMH/PSH. Father with DM, HTN.
AF, P 104, BP 128/63, RR18, 96%.
- Facial sensation decreased on L with flat L nasolabial fold
- Mild afferent pupillary defect on right
- RUE 5/5, except 2/5 wrist; LUE 5/5
- RLE 3/5; LLE 4/5
- Reflexes 3+ in UE and bilateral clonus LE
- Sensation decreased to pinprick T8-L1 distribution
- L toe upgoing, R toe equivocal
- CBC and CMP unremarkable
- Lumbar Puncture: Glucose 86, Protein 65, Nuc cells 24, RBC 254, Poly 2%, Lymphs 90%, Monos 7%, Eos 1%
(A note to email subscribers: the question, answer choices, and voting is only visible on our actual website; click the link above to vote for your favorite answer choice!)