At noon conference today, Dr. James Cutrell kicked off our “Back to Basics” series with a great introduction to antibiotics and the concept of antibiotic stewardship. Check out the slides below & stay tuned for the sequel later this month!
Also, click below to read the perspective piece from NEJM by Drs. Nathan & Cars regarding antibiotic resistance.
Antimicrobial Resistance – Problems, Progress, and Prospects
A few days late, but here is the June Edition of our resident-led publication with micro-reviews of recent medical articles. Stay up to date on recent advances with brief but comprehensive analyses by our own residents! Articles highlighted this month:
- Idarucizumab for Dabigatran Reversal (NEJM) reviewed by Dr. Haomin Ye
- Ezetimibe Added to Statin Therapy after Acute Coronary Syndromes (NEJM) reviewed by Dr.Haomin Ye and Dr. Tri Le
- EKG Challenge (Wide-complex Tachycardia) by Dr. Steve Dickson
- Early versus on-demand nasoenteric tube feeding in acute pancreatitis (NEJM) reviewed by Dr. Udayan Shah
- Antibiotic Therapy vs Appendectomy for Treatment of Uncomplicated Acute Appendicitis: The APPAC Randomized Clinical Trial (JAMA) reviewed by Dr. Udayan Shah
- Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: A Systematic Review (JAMA) reviewed by Dr. Brian Davis
- Prednisolone or Pentoxifylline for Alcoholic Hepatitis (the STOPAH trial) (NEJM) reviewed by Dr. Brian Davis
- Cannabinoids for Medical Use: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis (JAMA) reviewed by Dr. Matt Hancock
- Nivolumab versus Docetaxel in Advanced Squamous-Cell Non–Small-Cell Lung Cancer (NEJM) and Combined Nivolumab and Ipilimumab or Monotherapy in Untreated Melanoma (NEJM) reviewed by Dr. Arjun Gupta
- Continuous proton pump inhibitor therapy and the associated risk of recurrent Clostridium difficile infection (JAMA Int Med) reviewed by Dr. Fernando Woll
- Latent Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection (NEJM) reviewed by Dr. Fernando Woll
- Effect of Remote Ischemic Preconditioning on Kidney Injury Among High-Risk Patients Undergoing Cardiac Surgery. A Randomized Clinical Trial (JAMA) reviewed by Dr. Natalia Rocha
- Glycated Hemoglobin Level and Mortality in a Nondiabetic Population with CKD (Clin J Am Soc Neph) reviewed by Dr. Natalia Rocha
- High-Flow Oxygen through Nasal Cannula in Acute Hypoxemic Respiratory Failure (NEJM) reviewed by Dr. Mark Weinreich
- Adjunct Prednisone Therapy for Patients with Community-Acquired Pneumonia: A multicenter, double-blind, randomized, placebo controlled trial (Lancet) reviewed by Dr. Mark Weinreich
- Comparative effectiveness of pharmacologic interventions for knee osteoarthritis: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. (Ann Int Med) reviewed by Dr. James Galloway
- Evaluating relationships between symptom duration and persistence of rheumatoid arthritis: does a window of opportunity exist? Results of the Leiden Early Arthritis Clinic and ESPOIR cohorts. (Ann Rheum Dis) reviewed by Dr. James Galloway
Dr. Seldin was recently honored at the Texas Medical Association’s TexMed 2015 in Austin. He was introduced by Dr. Robert Haley who highlighted the profound impact that Seldin has had on the practice of medicine today. Dr. Seldin gave an inspirational acceptance speech that is linked below.