STRAIGHT FROM THE HOUSESTAFF – the April 2015 UT Southwestern Internal Medicine Journal Watch! They have summarized important issues in clinical practice, from alcoholic hepatitis to which medications to use for stroke prevention in afib. Make sure to take the EKG challenge at the end! You will have to view this post on our website to access the PDF. There is a quick run down of the topics below:
- Extended report: Prediction of cardiovascular risk in rheumatoid arthritis: performance of original and adapted SCORE algorithms. Dr. Brian Skaug reviewing Arts, et al. Ann Rheum Dis. 2015 Feb 17. pii: annrheumdis-2014-206879. doi: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2014-206879
- Trial of Early, Goal-Directed Resuscitation for Septic Shock [The Protocolised Management in Sepsis (ProMISe) Trial]. Dr. James Galloway reviewing Mouncey PR et al. N Engl J Med. 2015;372(14):1301-11.
- A Randomized Trial of Icatibant in ACE-Inhibitor-Induced Angioedema. Dr. James Galloway reviewing Bas M, et al. N Engl J Med. 2015;372(5):418-25.
All of the work above comes from the IMJW Editorial Board: Jan Petrasek, Brian Skaug, Ben Galloway, Natalia Rocha, Doug Darden, and Jeanney Lew!
STRAIGHT FROM THE HOUSESTAFF – the February 2015 Internal Medicine Journal Watch! They have summarized important issues in clinical practice, from Metformin in CKD to pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV. There is even an EKG challenge at the end, if you are up for it! You will have to view this post on our website to access the PDF. There is a quick run down of the topics below:
- American Diabetes Association’s Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes – 2015.
- Dr. Jeremy Warshauer reviewing Grant RW, et al. Diabetes Care 2015 Jan;38 Supplement 1
- Metformin in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes and Kidney Disease: A Systematic Review
- Dr. Nicolas Barros reviewing Inzucchi, SE, et al. JAMA 2014; 312(24):2668-2675
- Preliminary analysis of the Very Early Diagnosis of Systemic Sclerosis (VEDOSS) EUSTAR multicentre study: evidence for puffy fingers as a pivotal sign for suspicion of systemic sclerosis
- Dr. Brian Skaug reviewing Minier T, et al. Ann Rheum Dis 2014;73: 2087–2093
- Using drugs to discriminate – adverse selection in the insurance marketplace
- Dr. Ashish Gupta reviewing Jacobs DB and Sommers BD. N Engl J Med. 2015 Jan 29;372(5):399-402
General Internal Medicine
- Disorders of Plasma Sodium — Causes, Consequences, and Correction
- Dr. Nicolas Barros reviewing Sterns, R, et al. NEJM 2015; 372:55-65
- Acid–Base Problems in Diabetic Ketoacidosis
- Dr. Nicolas Barros reviewing Kamel K, et al. NEJM 2015 ; 372:546-554
- A Clinical Practice Guideline From the AABB
- Dr. Nicolas Barros reviewing Kaufman RN, et al. Ann Intern Med. 2015 Feb 3;162(3):205-13
- Association of Albumin-Creatinine Ratio and Cystatin C With Change in Ankle-Brachial Index: The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA)
- Dr. Ben Jenny reviewing Garimella P, et al. Am J Kidney Dis. 2015;65(1):33-40
- Tenofovir-Based Preexposure Prophylaxis for HIV Infection Among African Women
- Dr. Brad Cutrell and Dr. Nicolas Barros reviewing Marrazzo J, et al. 2015; 372:509-518
- Infectious Diseases Diagnosis and Treatment of C. difficile in Adults: Systematic Review
- Dr. Brad Cutrell and Dr. Nicolas Barros reviewing Bagdasarian N, et al. JAMA 2015; 313(4):398-408
- An interferon-free antiviral regimen for HCV after liver transplantation
- Dr. Jan Petrasek reviewing Kwo et al., NEJM. 2014; Dec 18;371(25):2375-82
- Decreasing Mortality Among Patients Hospitalized with Cirrhosis in the United States From 2002 through 2010
- Dr. Jan Petrasek reviewing Schmidt et al., Gastroenterology. 2015 Jan 23.
- Twelve or 30 Months of Dual Antiplatelet Therapy after Drug-Eluting Stents (DAPT trial)
- Dr. Ben Jenny reviewing Mauri L, et al. N Engl J Med. 2014 Dec 4;371(23):2155-66.
- Dr. Ben Jenny
All of the work above comes from the IMJW Editorial Board (with Dr. Brad Cuttrell): Jan Petrasek, Purav Mody, Nicolas Barros, Ragisha Gopalakrishnan, Jeremy Warshauer, Shetal Patel, Ben Jenny (not Jennings), Vishwanatha Lanka, Brian Skaug, Ashish Gupta, and Roma Mehta!
In case you missed the email, here is the December, 2014 edition of the Internal Medicine Journal Watch, curated by the IMJW editorial board (Jan Petrasek, Nico Barros, Ragisha Gopalakrishnan, Jeremy Warshauer, Shetal Patel, Ben Jenny, Vishy Lanka, Brian Davis, Ashish Gupta, and Roma Mehta). Thank you to the board for putting together this collection of important publications in science and medicine! UTSW_IMJW_12_2014
Hot off the presses, here is this month’s issue of the Internal Medicine Journal Watch, a joint effort by the faculty and the UT Southwestern Internal Medicine Journal Watch Editorial Board (Purav Mody, Jan Petrasek, Nicoloas Barros-Baertl, Shetal Patel, Jeremy Warshauer, Benjamin Jenny, Vishwanatha Lanka, Brian Davis, Ashish Gupta, Ragisha Gopalakrishnan, and Roma Mehta). Some of this month’s highlights include novel data on an algorithm to predict Hepatocellular carcinoma in Hep C patients, outcomes from strict glucose vs. strict blood pressure control, transfusion goals in sepsis, and a great review on aortic aneurysm & dissections! Other highlights include papers on influenza vaccines in the geriatric population, reviews on MRSA infections, CKD and the incidence of cancer, and of course, the EKG case!